Recruited by a Harvard Business School instructor to grow a fledgling print newsletter. Assumed full responsibility for all operating activities, hired a database developer to upload our content on the Internet to build a national publication, reduced our manufacturing costs by 80%, added a subscription service with a tiered pricing structure, created and designed a website with search functionality that led to creating the leading training media and technology review publication in the training industry.
- Assembled a virtual network of 50+ writers and designed a process for creating, editing and managing content that led to lowering our content acquisition costs to zero, quadrupling our content collection that include cover over 40+ topics, and attracting 10 times more small to medium size business customers.
- Established strategic marketing relationships with American Society of Training & Development, the leading training association, Technology firms including Oracle, Macromedia, and Content Providers such as SkillSoft, and ElementK that grew subscription revenues by 100%.
Responsible for leading a team of five business development professionals to help grow our base of local small to medium size business customers across the nation and increase advertising revenues.
- Directed business development, strategy, planning and implementation of SMARTpages.com products that led to new voice over IP, interactive voice recognition, wireless (i.e. Cell Phones, PDAs, & RIM), e-commerce, content licensing, online distribution, reseller arrangements, affiliate program, technology assessment and advertising deals.
- Led the entire wireless strategy that included market research, preparing an ROI justification, identifying and negotiating with partners, assembling a team to develop the wireless platform, coordinating with operations, technology and product development to build the service, alpha and beta testing, pricing, and launching the service to the market.
- Selected to help with the merger of yellowpages.com, SBC SMARTpages.com and RealPages.com.
Responsible for corporate financial planning and analysis projects in Finance and Strategy in preparation for executive committee and Board of Directors meetings, mergers and acquisitions, and international expansion.
- Prepared pro-forma financial models, ROI & ROE analysis, DCF analysis, competitive analysis, and M&A analysis. Consolidated annual budgets, quarterly forecasts, and long-range plans for Time Mirror’s 26 subsidiaries including the Los Angeles Times, Baltimore Sun, Newsday, Matthew Bender Legal Publisher, Jeppensen Sanderson, Ski Magazine, Golf Magazine, Popular Mechanics, The National Journal, The Sporting News, Learning International, Times Mirror Cable, and more.
- Conducted market studies for growth opportunities in international, e-commerce, electronic books, and online content distribution on the Internet that led to investments in Australia and the Internet.
- Built a Lotus 1-2-3 budgeting system that reduced costs by 300%.
Managed a $30 million business content service. Conducted market research, competitive strategy analysis, pricing, and product positioning for the successful launch of content database products within the healthcare, defense, finance and technology information markets that led to a 20% increase in revenues.
- Responsible for content licensing deals with major publications: led market research efforts to identify new publications to license, negotiated contracts to set royalty rates & redistribution rights, set prices based on the competitive environment and market demand; coordinated with cross functional teams to convert the content to a proprietary database product; prepared marketing materials and sales collateral; and trained the sales team on the details of the new products.
- Selected by the CEO to participate on a special team that evaluated the computer and pharmaceutical information industries to invest up to $200 million that led to the creating of Knight-Ridder’ s Venture Capital firm.
- Also, selected by the CEO to lead over 200 employees to shift in strategic direction from a product driven company to a market driven company. Influenced the division heads, prepared the strategy, and executed the plans.